Want Justice, Peace and Planetary Survival?
Then let's protect our activists!
Activists are the first responders to injustice, standing up and speaking out to protect endangered people and planet, demanding peace, justice, equality and liberation, carving out spaces in the belly of the Beast to begin creating the new world now.
How to protect activists, …who fight to transform the unjust system–the Beast!–while living in its perilous belly?
- Raise consciousness about the nature of activism and activist movements
- Foster a climate of understanding, love, connection, safety, protection, defense, and support for folks taking action to create a more just and compassionate society
- Focus attention on the importance of portraying activists fully and fairly, especially in fiction
- Create opportunities for our activist community to share and reflect on aspects of the activist experience, including the (future) Armillaria Network for Connecting, Protecting and Appreciating Activists, Protect Our Activists Facebook page and Fiction Featuring Activists Facebook group.
- Compile resources for activists, including participatory lists of Activist Protection Resources and Fiction Featuring Activists.
Our Work Centers on...
JB's POA--Participant-Observer Adventures
Ignorance and misconceptions endanger activists in many ways, from annoying to deadly. Greater general understanding of the nature of activism helps protect us; better understanding of our own experience as activists is just as essential to our wellbeing.
Activists fight for full and fair representation of oppressed groups, yet activists are also marginalized, maligned and stereotyped. Full and fair representation, especially in fiction, can help create a safer, more understanding climate for activists.
The greatest protection emerges from solidarity, love, mutual aid, unbreakable relationships and strong community underlying all the diversity and differences among those devoted to making a just world.
Power of Our Attention-
a daily practice
Activist Emotional Support
These projects are in development
Defending activists requires petitions, rallies, picket lines, strikes, direct action, articles, declarations, banners, murals, medics, legal aid, security marshals, training, digital and physical security, refuges, and much more.
How do people learn to take action against injustice? What environments help young people become willing to stand up and speak out for justice for themselves, their community and the world? What makes some people become activists despite being taught to conform? These are some of the questions we explore in theory and in practice.
Becoming Activists Stories
These projects are under construction
Protect Our Activists is a participant-observer project. Meaning that we are activists ourselves, fully connected to the culture and the movements we focus on. Far from impartial, we are totally partial to, part of and participants in the culture and experience of transforming the social system from a place of system of inequality, exploitation and destruction, to one of equality, sharing and care for Earth and all inhabitants.
JB’s Journey, a Participant-Observer Quest
* * *
Meaning you want more understanding, love and protection as an activist?